Back in Action
29/08/2011 § 5 Comments
NYC Subway, 1952. Taken by Cornell Capa.
Well darlings, I am happy to report that all is well and that I was able to return to my apartment yesterday evening and even enjoyed a celebratory dinner at neighborhood standby The Odeon. All in all, for a first hurricane, I am glad to report that Irene was something of a letdown, but I’m very happy to take over-preparedness and preemptive measures over disasters and tragedy. My building took on a bit of water in her basement, but that was all. This morning I was able to hop on a very uncrowded 4 train to get to work, and Starbucks even spelled my name right. All in all, business as usual. Well, maybe not the part about Starbucks spelling my name right…
Things that were awesome about the Hurricane Irene weekend included:
- Getting invited to a very special hurricane party
- Running into this guy at Duane Reade
- My Mom suggesting we play Words With Friends, so she knew I was alive
- Hilarious hurricane banter with Jodi, Ted and Bryan
- The Muffins Cafe amazingly staying open late on Saturday and opening up early Sunday, with lines out the door both days
- My building staff toughing it out through the evacuation, with some of them staying from Friday night to Sunday afternoon
- Convincing the hurricane party (no, not the one I mentioned above, thank you, a different one.) I attended on Saturday night to watch Auntie Mame in its fabulous entirety
Great moments, all, but the absolute best part of the weekend
was hearing from everyone concerned for my well-being.
I remain very touched. You guys are awesome.
I’m glad it wasn’t bad!
Thanks very much! Very happy it was uneventful!
Glad to know all went well in the end and that you managed to have a good time during your evacuation!
Pleased there was only minimal damage to your building. Good news all round. But hang on, Starbucks remembered your name? Is this like an episode of LOST and in fact we all died in the hurricane???